The mast tube is made of :
- 1 Bearing at deck level
- 1 Bearing at mast foot
- 1 Mast tiller arm to control the mast rotation
- 1 Upper fitting to attach the headstay, the shrouds, and the jib halyard.
- 1 Head fitting for the spinnaker
- 1 Mainsail head block
- 2 ports in the mast walls for the jib and spinnaker halyards
- 3 outlets at the deck level for the jib and main halyards.
- In option, an inside sleeve for the halyards, making the mast watertight.
The boom is fixed on the deck.
Enlarged image (60 Ko)
Extra large picture (108 Ko)
It is trimmed by a classical mainsheet tackle, helped by, and two downhauls /
The gooseneck is set aft of the mast, allowing a longer main foot, and easing
automatically the mainsail foot tension when the sheet is eased when running.
The boom may be directly connected to the mast tiller arm by a tackle.
Advantages of the C.Wing Rig Ó
1) easy to build
2) well suited to moulded construction, as it features but a few elements.
3) Perfectly compatible with carbon fibre frp which enables a high Elastic modulus and
strength. This type of rig was not possible before on monohulls.
4) High lift/drag ratio on the mast + mainsail fail, allowing a more compact mainsail ,
but with a greater surface.
5) adapted to variable wind speeds, thanks to large size of the mainsail and the small
size of the jib.
6) small jib, easy to control.
7) low halyard chafing and wearing.
8) easy to use
9) easy to make watertight, which adds safety against capsize.
10) great strength and robustness.
11) simplified shrouds and stay fittings.
12) easy to check
Disadvantages of the C.Wing Rig Ó
a) boom angle limited by aft shrouds.
b) high compression on mast and structure.
c) high loading on shrouds
d) wind vane difficult to install.
The C.Wing Ó Rig is adapted to quick boats that can
take advantage of the better efficiency of the rig.
It needs a control of the design and building of boats, because the efforts are more
concentrated than usually.
The C.Wing Ó label
To benefit fom this solution, and control specific applications, it is necessary to create
a quality label to ensure that this type of rig is only installed on boats which are
adapted to it.
It is necessary that the mast scantlings, design and construction are controlled, and well
"married" with the boat on which it is fitted.
The label control body will give to the naval architect and the boat and mast builders a
technical file containing::
- A calculation of the stresses on the boat and its structure.
- A calculation of the efforts on the mast and a calculation of the mast scantlings and
A control procedure for the construction and the rigidity of the boat ( in
deflection and strength)
- A control procedure for the laminate quality and rigidity of the mast, as built.
A set on form sheets will be filled and returned to the label authority, ensuring thus a
good quality control of the fleet fitted with C;WingÓ masts.
Our boats equiped with C.wing
rig : Sodebo,
October 2000, about twenty units have this rigging.